Thursday, August 09, 2007

Letters and Blocks and Books oh my!

I really hate to brag (well...actually no I don't...), but my daughter has to be the smartest 20 month old on this planet!!! Not long ago we got her the Fridge Phonics Magnetic Letter Set by Leap Frog. The box says it is intended for ages 2 and up...but we figured she was close enough - so we got it anyway. Lets just say that we are THRILLED that we got it for her. This morning before he left for work, my husband stood by the fridge and pointed at the letters, asking Kendall to tell him what each letter was. With the exception of about 6, she knew ALL of them. Now - I can't guarantee that she will be able to do it again if asked...but the fact that she did it once just amazed me! We are already sending out applications to Harvard and Yale...haha

Anyway - between reading book after book after book to her each day, playing with her letters, helping her identify colors (she has black and white down pat...occasionally it seems she knows blue and green, but not consistently), and playing with her shaped blocks and putting them in their appropriate shaped holes - Kendall has been such a sponge lately! It is amazing to me watching her learn...you can actually see the wheels turning in her head when she looks at something or asks me a question. It is fantastic!!! Last night as we were getting her ready for bed, Jeff showed her the difference between up and down by pointing at the ceiling and floor. Now - she has already been saying the words for a long time...but last night was the first time we got her to actually point to indicate she knew what "up" was and what "down" was. I saw an article that said that a child her age is learning 10 words a day. She may not be able to use the word yet...but she is absorbing it (lets just say we are being SOOO careful now with any expletives that might slip out now and then...) to be able to repeat back later. It is fantastic to watch and know that is some way I contributing to her learning. I told Jeff this morning that I am actually a little scared of it all as well - because although I consider myself to be intelligent - I don't think that I am as intelligent as Kendall is...and there will be a point in time that she will be smarter than me and I won't be able to challenge her intellectually anymore. That terrifies me...

My "little" guy, Carson, is doing great! Eat, sleep, poop, repeat. That is our day. However - he is a little more alert each day. He is also smiling at Jeff and I when we talk to him. I just love that little smile!!! Someday I hope to actually catch it on film...but I haven't been able to yet. It is so hard to believe that it was 5 weeks ago that he was born. In some ways it seems like eons ago...and in others - it was just yesterday! But seeing where his big sister is now...I just know that I'm going to blink and they are both going to be in high school...

Oh - I almost forgot - Kendall will most likely be moving to a toddler bed here in the very near future...as she climbed out of her crib for the first time on Monday. She hasn't done it again yet...but I'm just waiting... That brings its own set of worries to this already worry-wart mother! haha
I've attached a few pictures that were taken this weekend. One is of Kendall in a little "Chinese" outfit my sister, Dee, picked up for her in Los Angeles when she was on vacation. Goodness she is adorable!!! The others are of my mom with both of her Grand kids and Dee with her niece. I just LOVE my family!!!! I don't think there is a luckier person out there than me!

No comments: