Thursday, August 09, 2007

Little affirmations...

As a mom of two very little ones - getting affirmation from them that you are doing a good job is next to impossible. Well - tonight - I got two...

Part of Kendall's bedtime routine is saying prayers just before we lay her down. Normally Jeff or I say the prayers (typical "please bless Mommy and Daddy and Carson..."). Tonight we asked her who she wanted to say the prayers - me, Daddy or herself. She indicated that she wanted to say prayers tonight by placing both hands on her chest and saying "endall." What a blessing! Although what she says is very basic (just names at this point) - she is getting the idea. We are setting a positive example for her early on. That she isn't nervous or scared of saying prayers herself, that she knows that we say the names of the ones we love in our prayers, and that we say "Amen" when we are done - this tells me that as Christian parents trying to raise our children in a Christian home...something is starting to "stick" in what we are teaching her.

The other little affirmation I got happened at the dinner table tonight. We are constantly asking Kendall what different animals say. Tonight, Jeff asked her what Carson says. She said "waaa" with her mouth wide open and her face puckered like she was crying. Jeff and I both started to laugh it was so cute! Then Jeff asked her "What does Daddy say?" She said "I you" - which in 20-month-old means "I love you". He asked her "What does Mommy say?" Again - "I you" was her response. How wonderful that we express our love, not only to one another but to her as well, that she thinks that what "we say" is "I love you", much as a cat says "meow" or a cow says "moo."

I think we are doing something right...

No comments: