Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Confessions, Part 2

A while back I confessed that I am a chronic nail biter...that still hasn't changed. However - I now have acrylic nails that inhibit me from doing any damage. I still occasionally nibble on my fingers/cuticles...but really only when it is time for me to get my nails fixed. BUT...I know that unfortunately - it will take a much longer time for me to get to the point that I will stop biting...

So...now for confessions Part 2. I'm going to be very honest here...which I might end up regretting in the future...but if I can't be 100% honest about this...then I'm obviously not ready for what lies ahead...

I LOVE food. I always have. Thankfully, for years I've been blessed with a good metabolism, and haven't had to worry too much about what I ate. That is until about 10 years ago...and then it started really catching up with me. When I left my ex-husband 8 1/2 years ago, I was approx. 175 pounds (only 10 pounds more than when I had graduated college 4 years earlier). When Jeff and I started dating, about 6 1/2 years ago, I was still approximately the same weight (but I had been taking a kick-boxing class for about 3 or 4 months before we met). About 2 years after Jeff and I met, we got married...and I was then about 185. When I got pregnant with Kendall (about a year later), I was 195. Just before I got pregnant with Carson, Jeff and I went on a diet and I got all the way down to about 165. I felt GREAT!!! My clothes felt good...I was wearing sizes I hadn't worn since college...it was wonderful! Well...I've been a bit lazy since Carson was born...and I am now 187. Not TOO bad, I'll admit, seeing as I'm 5'10"...but it is getting to the point that a lot of my size 14's are pretty tight, that I have "muffin tops" hanging out over my pants, and that a lot of my shirts always seem to be a bit snug (and I REFUSE to go out and buy any size 16s). Now that I am making cakes all the time (if things continue to go well), I just know I will end up eating more and getting bigger. So...my friend, Kelly, and I went to our very first Weight Watchers meeting on Monday night (and no...this isn't a "resolution"...just each of us are fed up with what we look like in the mirror). Today was my first official day on the diet. It was hard...I won't lie. What is especially hard is figuring out dinners... Jeff and I have a lot of processed foods around (Hamburger Helper, Taco dinner kits, Stuffed chicken entrees, etc.) and I go to those a lot on those nights when I can't hardly breathe due to the energy of the kids. Well...I can't really do that anymore. They encourage small goals...that way they are easy to reach. So...my first goal is 170, which is about 10% weight loss. My FINAL goal...is going to be around 155-160...I'll decide when I get there...all I know is that I want to be completely in size 10s, with a few size 8s even fitting. Anyway - I'll document my journey along the way...and hopefully by 2010 I can say I met my goal! Personally...I just hope that by my sister's wedding I'll be to the 170 mark...6 months and 17 pounds - only 3 pounds a month...that should be doable right?!?!

So...if you are ordering a pizza anytime soon...have a few slices for me! :)

1 comment:

The Conklin's said...

Amy, you can do it!! I know it is hard, but living without the soda and candy gets soooo much easier with every day that goes by!! Good Luck!!