Wednesday, January 19, 2011

This saving thing is addicting!!!

Okay - so I've been to the grocery store more this week than I've ever been in one week before in my life. BUT....when I consistently save more than I spend every single time I go...I can't help myself!!!

Yesterday - I stopped by for a few things:
2 Loafs of Bread
2 Bottles of coffee creamer
4 boxes of Splenda packets (50 ct)
2 bottles of Maalox

Total OOP - $4.95, Total Savings - $27.17

Today - again...just a few items...
1 bag of Dog food
6 boxes of Kleenex
1 bottle shampoo for my kids
1 bottle of Tide
2 jars Peter Pan Peanut butter
1 jar Nutella
4 bottles of Vitamin D

Total OOP - $31.05, Total Savings - $44.04

Just this week alone (from the 13th until today) my total OOP is $164.53, and my total savings is $214.08!!! I am getting the hang of this...that is for sure!!! There is still a lot of work to be done - but already in this week alone I have saved about $90 from what I typically spend in a week of grocery shopping. If this is as good as I ever get...then in a year I'll save over $4600!!!

Next week I'm going to try combining the couponing with meal planning. There is a link to the right of my posts for E-mealz. It is a service that for $15 a quarter, it will give you a weekly meal plan based on what is on sale that week at your local grocery store. You can choose a variety of meal plans - I chose a low-fat plan for a family of 4 from Publix. I've been a member since July - but haven't used the service that much. I hate planning meals more than anything...and since this tells you what to cook and what ingredients you need to cook it...then it does makes it really easy. It also gives you your shopping list so you buy only what you need for the meals. I really think that if I combine the two ideas - then not only are my meals planned for the next week, but I'm still saving tons of money...

I'll keep you posted!!!

No comments: